Book Your Appointment
Principium Psychiatry — An Innovative Psychiatric Clinic in NYC
Located in the heart of New York City, Principium Psychiatry strives to provide effective, individualized mental health treatment for patients with a wide range of psychiatric needs. No matter what symptoms or concerns bring you to our convenient midtown office, our staff of caring psychologists, psychiatrists and nurses will listen carefully, make you feel welcome and recommend the treatment options that are most likely to help you reach your goals.
If you’re looking for a psychopharmacologist or psychiatrist in Manhattan, NY, Principium Psychiatry is here to help. Learn more about our innovative mental health practice and feel free to schedule an appointment whenever you’re ready. Our clinic specializes in the comprehensive treatment of mood and anxiety disorders. With two convenient locations near Carnegie Hall, we offer numerous types of treatments tailored to each individual’s needs.
An Awesome Team Ready to Help
NOAM SCHNECK, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor Columbia University
ZIV EZRA COHEN, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor, Cornell University
SARAH DELANEY, NP
Medical Staff New York Presbyterian Hospital
Irina Kogan, MD
Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center
Binghamton University, University of Rochester Medical Center
Rivka Moskowitz, NP
Stony Brook University
Adami Gordon Psy.D
Elsie John, PMHNP
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
New York University
Dr. Joseph Houchins
Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Columbia University (DNP)
Daniel Santarsieri, MD
About Viktoriya Natanel, PMHNP
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Psychiatry Services in Columbus Circle NYC
At our clinic, we aim to bring all our patients effective and up-to-date treatments. In addition to traditional psychotherapy and psychopharmacology in NYC, we offer innovative depression treatments like Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), IV ketamine, and intra-nasal ketamine (Spravato) therapy. Our psychiatrists in New York City also use genetic testing to ensure you receive medications compatible with your body’s unique biology.
By offering innovative psychiatric treatments, we can serve the widest range of patients possible, from those with mild but troublesome symptoms to those with severe and persistent symptoms who have struggled to find effective treatment in the past. We can provide care with or without medication or use a combination of strategies tailored to your needs. Our psychiatrists and psychologists take the time to consider all aspects of your situation and walk you through multiple treatment options, so you can make the best choice for you.
The services we offer at our psychiatric clinic in New York include:
- Psychotherapy: We use a variety of approaches to suit the individual needs of our clients. Our medical director Dr. Cohen and the rest of our team have experience treating mental health disorders using cognitive-behavioral therapy, psychodynamic psychotherapy, insight-oriented therapy, mindfulness and other evidence-based therapy styles.
- Psychopharmacology: Psychopharmacology involves using medication to treat mental disorders. Our pharmacologists in Manhattan will work closely with you to find a medication that improves your symptoms while minimizing side effects. Patients seeking medication therapy typically visit us once per month or more frequently, as needed.
- Telepsychiatry: Local patients who prefer to receive treatment from the comfort of their own homes can take advantage of our convenient telepsychiatry service. All you need to receive telepsychiatry is a computer with a webcam and a reliable Internet connection.
- Ketamine therapy: In this pioneering treatment for depression and other mood disorders, patients receive a small dose of the anesthetic ketamine through an IV infusion. Each treatment takes approximately one hour. Because IV ketamine therapy is not yet approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), it is typically recommended for patients with persistent symptoms that haven’t responded to other treatment options. Intra-nasal ketamine (Spravato) has FDA approval for the treatment of depression. For those who prefer intra-nasal to IV ketamine, we provide this treatment in the comfort of our office.
- TMS: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) treats major depression using a magnetic field to induce stimulation in targeted parts of the brain associated with depression, causing neurons (brain cells) to become more active. TMS is FDA-approved and recommended by the American Psychiatric Association. Treatment occurs over 4-6 weeks, with individual sessions ranging from 20 minutes to one hour in length. Patients stay awake during treatment and typically feel no discomfort and can immediately resume normal activities.
In addition to a familiar pay-per-appointment model, we offer a six-month concierge service, which takes care of prescription charges and gives you more flexible options for scheduling and rescheduling. Most of the treatments we provide for mood and anxiety disorders are covered by insurance, and although we are out-of-network, we will provide invoices you can submit to receive reimbursement. For TMS, we do accept medicare and work with most major insurances.
INSURANCE & COST
What Our Patients Say
Dr. Cohen is an incredible doctor who listens carefully and thoughtfully offers options and suggestions. He is someone you can be open with, without feeling ashamed or embarrassed. A true professional.
I really liked his calm and friendly attitude. I only had one session so far but looking forward to the second appointment. He doesn’t take insurance and it will make it hard for me to see him for long but so far pretty good experience.
He really takes the time to understand what you’re going through and answer your questions. He’s extremely knowledgable and puts you at ease right away.
I have only been to a few psychiatrists in my life and Dr. Cohen was the best. He seemed genuinely interested in knowing what was going on and presented possible solutions, not the only solutions.