Dr. Cohen’s practice offers comprehensive treatment for mood and anxiety disorders. In addition to psychopharmacology and psychotherapy, Dr. Cohen’s office offers Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), a medication-free alternative treatment for depression and other disorders; Ketamine, a cutting-edge psycho-pharmacological approach to depression; and pharmaco-genetic testing to help guide the approach to medication.
Psychotherapy Treatment in Midtown Manhattan
Prinicipium Psychiatry offers a wide range of psychotherapy services to best fit each patient’s needs. Dr. Cohen and his team have extensive experience treating mood disorders, anxiety disorders, PTSD, attentional disorders, substance use disorders, and many other conditions.
What Is Psychotherapy?
Also known as talk therapy, psychotherapy involves discussing your thoughts and feelings with a therapist to manage your mental health symptoms. Psychotherapy gives you a space to understand how your past experiences impact your thinking. Through this knowledge, you can learn how to develop coping skills to respond to difficult situations.
Types of Psychotherapy Treatments
Different kinds of psychotherapy suit different patients. The right therapist and approach for you will depend on your symptoms and situation. During your consultation at Principium Psychiatry, we’ll work with you to find a therapy model that fits your needs. As they go through treatment, we welcome patients to let us know if they would like to try a new therapy approach or therapist.
The types of psychotherapy that we offer in our Manhattan office include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): During a CBT session, your therapist will help you identify unhealthy thinking patterns and change them to healthier ones.
- Dialectical behavioral therapy: Dialectical behavioral therapy works as a type of CBT that also includes learning behavioral skills.
- Psychodynamic therapy: Through psychodynamic therapy, you can look for past experiences that caused your behavior patterns and resolve them.
- Interpersonal therapy (IPT): In interpersonal therapy, you’ll find ways to improve your interpersonal skills and relationships through healthy behaviors.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy: With acceptance and commitment therapy, you can accept your thoughts and feelings while committing to change.
- Family and play therapy: Our team provides family and play therapy for patients of all ages.
Benefits of Psychotherapy
Psychotherapy has many benefits as a mental health treatment option, including:
- Supplementing psychopharmacology: If you take medication for your mental health condition, psychotherapy can provide even more help. When you take medicine that relieves your symptoms, it becomes easier to manage the coping skills you learn in therapy. Psychotherapy can also work as a standalone treatment for patients who don’t take medication.
- Confidentiality: Your therapist will keep the information you tell them completely confidential, except for in rare cases involving risks to your safety. You’ll have somewhere to explore your thoughts and feelings privately.
- Personalized approach: Psychotherapy involves a close working relationship between therapist and patient that focuses on your needs. Your therapist will get to know you and find ways to tailor your treatment to your symptoms and situations.
- Flexibility: At Principium Psychiatry, we have multiple therapists available who specialize in many types of therapy. We can adjust your psychotherapy experience as needed to help you get the most out of your sessions.
Therapy Sessions by Specialty Physicians in Midtown Manhattan
The team at Principium Psychiatry specializes in providing evidence-based and cutting-edge treatments for mental health conditions. Our innovative approaches to psychiatric care enable us to serve a wide range of patients with different symptoms and experiences. As one of our patients, you’ll receive expert mental health services in a compassionate environment in the heart of NYC.
Book an Appointment at Our Counseling and Psychotherapy Clinic in NYC
Get a consultation at our midtown office by scheduling an appointment today.
What Our Patients Say
Dr. Cohen is an incredible doctor who listens carefully and thoughtfully offers options and suggestions. He is someone you can be open with, without feeling ashamed or embarrassed. A true professional.
I really liked his calm and friendly attitude. I only had one session so far but looking forward to the second appointment. He doesn’t take insurance and it will make it hard for me to see him for long but so far pretty good experience.
He really takes the time to understand what you’re going through and answer your questions. He’s extremely knowledgable and puts you at ease right away.
I have only been to a few psychiatrists in my life and Dr. Cohen was the best. He seemed genuinely interested in knowing what was going on and presented possible solutions, not the only solutions.